The aim of music teaching in Mission Grove Primary School is:
- Provide a creative and stimulating environment to engage children in making and responding to music.
- Develop understanding and knowledge of music through performing, composition, improvisation and listening activities.
- To encourage singing a variety of songs adding accompaniments, playing instruments with increasing confidence and control.
- Develop creativity and original thinking
- Ensure continuity, differentiation and progression of learning
- Introduce a variety of musical styles from different times and cultures
All children use tuned and unturned percussion instruments in class lessons and we aim for all children to receive at least one year's tuition on guitar through Wider Opportunities during KS2.
Pupils perform in a wide variety of events through the year, including two performances in Walthamstow Town Hall. Mission Grove choir have participated in Young Voices concerts at the O2 arena for many years.
We offer violin and guitar lessons through The Walthamstow Music Service and also offer instrumental lessons through Rock Steady.
You can download our Music Road Map at the bottom of this page.
How we Teach Music
All teachers use Charanga to teach weekly music lessons.
How the Scheme is structured
Each Unit of Work comprises the of strands of musical learning which correspond with the national curriculum for music:
- Listening and Appraising
- Musical Activities
- Warm-up Games
- Optional Flexible Games
- Playing instruments