If you need to contact your child's teacher about anything please email:
stating your childs name and class.
It's going to be a year to remember!
Some of the things we have planned for this year are:
- building a real fire
- setting up night vision cameras
- making films
- baking bread
- planting seeds
- learning to swim
The topics that Year 2 are exploring this year are:
- Land Ahoy! Learning about the geography of our world.
- The Great Fire of London Delving back in time to look at important people and events from the past.
- Where we live Studying our local area, school and micro habitats.
- Nurturing Nurses Looking at what Florence Nightingale and Mary Seacole did to change nursing forever!
- Explorers Discovering how people challenge
- Australia Looking at the history and geography of a land far, far away!
These are paired with Science Topics:
- Habitats Learning about different environments of the world.
- Materials Exploring the properties of everyday objects.
- Nocturnal Animals Venturing into the world of night time animals.
- Being Human Looking at what it takes to be healthy.
- Plants Understanding the lifecycle of a flowering plant.
- Living Things Investigating food chains and this in the living world.
Things to do at home
We will not be sending any homework home this year, however, we encourage the children to research the topic that they are looking at in class. You can have fun building a model, creating a piece of writing or making a piece of artwork. The sky is the limit!
Reading - Bug club and myON
We would like you to engage in reading daily with your child. The children should be reading for at least 20 minutes a day. This can be from their reading book sent home from class, a book that they have at home, using Bug Club or myON.
Your child's class teacher will provide you with log in details for your child. Please access your account via the link here:
Timestables - TTRockstars and Numbots
Please encourage your children to practise their timetables daily. This doesn't have to be a laboured activity but simply when walking to school asking them a few questions related to the timestable they are learning. All of the children also have access to TTrockstars, this is an online app which allows the children to practice their timetables and related division facts. They can earn coins from correct answers to update and personalise their characters as well as battle with other children in their class and in Mission Grove.
Numbots helps them to practise their basic but essential number facts and skills such as number bonds.
Your child's class teacher will provide you with log in details for your child. Please access your account via the links here:
The children's reading record includes spellings the children need to learn by the end of Year 2 and some phonics practice to help them with their reading.